Contact us (and Foundry history)
Enquiries about the project - please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 01646 680090
Foundry House - notes on the old Iron Foundry House
From Iron Foundry to thriving Community Centre
An 1864 Ordnance Survey map of Pembroke shows an Iron Foundry situated on the Commons – run by a George Lloyd, and before him Thomas Morris, who was also described as ‘brass founder’. A series of smaller buildings surrounded the main building shown above, all encompassed within square and solid walls. Little is known about the Foundry but it was likely to have played an important part in the success of Stephens Engineering Works, and Burchells coach works in East Back, and the production of some of the handsome Victorian balconies and railings that were appearing all over town and beyond. By 1878 iron production had ceased and the Sherrin family had moved in.
The Sherrin Family
The photograph below shows Emily Sherrin (right hand side) with her older sisters Susie and Sarah. Emily was born in Foundry house on May 17th 1878. Her father John was a butcher at that time, so probably worked in the nearby abattoir.
John Sherrin and his wife Elizabeth came from Somerset, and lived in Foundry House from about 1877 to 1890 - there were three older children. John and Elizabeth are not shown on the 1891 census, having moved to Penhoyle in Penally where John worked as an 'agricultural milkman'.
The Seabourne family
In the 1940s Foundry House was home to Robert and Georgina Seabourne and their children. The parents of Simone Martin (née Seabourne) are seen in the photograph on the left.
Below, Simone is one of the four little girls – all sisters.
Up to date
Eventually the Seabournes left and the Foundry House became the Police Boys Boxing Club. By 1967 it had become a busy Youth Centre run by youth leader Val McInally, as a result of a labour report set up to develop provision for young people. The Youth Centre was extremely successful and developed other activities too, including early playgroups for young children. The work was continued by Roy Martin until Pembrokeshire County Council forced closure and the building was put up for sale.
Determined not to let this special building and facility be demolished or lost the newly formed Pembroke 21C Community Association managed to raise every penny of the asking price, and today it plays host to many community projects and over thirty-five usergroups. The Foundry House is a work in progress and it is hoped to eventually have an archive of photographs from activities in Foundry House through the years.