The Commons - Once A Tidal Inlet And Navigable

Tidal waters once flowed almost up to the bottom of Well Hill (where the town's third mill was sited); Pembroke Commons became the 'working part of town' as the land became first marshy and then dried out.

By the late 1800s the area had become the site of the new Gas Works, the town tip, an Iron Foundry, a Tannery, and an abattoir - the stream would have been stinking because it carried waste from animal-skin curing, so that it even ran red at times; and flooding was a regular occurence. Pigs were kept along the length of the Commons, though there are several stories of them being swept away at times of exceptional high tides and storms.

Bankers Row - situated at the western end of Pembroke Commons

Bankers Row was a row of ten, two storied, single-fronted houses built of stone and with slate roofs. The date of Bankers Row being built is not known but is probably the late 18th century. The dwellings are shown, but not named, on an 1861 Ordinance Survey Map and are supposed to have been built as an investment by two bankers (hence the name).

In an 1889 newspaper report Bankers Row is mentioned as being the address of one Henry Gullon who was among those killed in the Pennar Ferry Disaster. The houses of Bankers Row were demolished by April 1957 and the stone used as infill for the Common's Pond. The land which once sited the houses is now a car park adjoining Westgate Chapel.